Saturday, February 2, 2013

Italian Time!

Hey y'all!! Welcome to Feburary, I hope everyone is staying warm :-)

This week I decided I wanted to have a meatless meal. I was in the mood for some Italian but not really sure what to make. My husband always orders Chicken Parmesan when we go out for Italian and we just so happen to have an eggplant sitting in the kitchen so I decided to take a crack at Eggplant Parmesean. 

Here's what I used (and remember I don't like to measure):
Eggplant
Eggs
Garlic Seasoning
Breadcrumbs
Cajun Seasoning
Italian Seasoning
Parmesean Cheese 
Ragu 
Whole Grain Angel Hair Pasta

(I ended up not using the fried onions)

I heated the oven to 350 degrees, and peeled and cut my eggplant. 



I prepared my egg wash and added garlic seasoning. 



I made my breadcrumb mixture in a Tupperware container so I could close it and shake it for easy mixing. I added breadcrumbs, Parmesean Cheese, Cajun seasoning, and Italian seasoning. 



Here is where your personal choice comes in when putting the eggplant, egg wash and breadcrumb mixture together. You can either bake them or fry them in a skillet. I chose the skillet with a little olive oil. Take the eggplant, dip it in egg wash, dip it in the breadcrumb mixture, brown on both sides. 



While my eggplant was browning, I covered the bottom of my baking dish with Ragu. After browning the eggplant, I layered it in my baking dish and covered it with the remaining Ragu. 


Naturally, being from Wisconsin, I topped off my dish with lots of shredded cheese and the left over breadcrumb mixture, and popped it in the oven to bake for about a half hour or so. 


While my eggplant baked, I prepared my angle hair pasta and added a little butter for flavor.

Here's the finished product!

This was super easy to make and a great way to have a meatless meal. My husband loved it and is already asking for more!

If you try this, let me know what you think!

         Eat, Drink 'n Be Crafty

No comments:

Post a Comment